[PlanetCCRMA] Shutdown Problems

nigel henry cave.dnb@tiscali.fr
Wed Jun 14 16:10:03 2006

On Wednesday 14 June 2006 23:18, david beetham wrote:
> Hiya,
>
> Recently switched to Fedora Core 5 and am trying to set-up Planet ...
>
> I installed planetccrma-core and then the planetccrma-core-edge ...
>
> This completed successfully in YUMEX ...
>
> I then shutdown my PC but the shutdown didn't complete successfully ...
>
> I was messing about with dmesg and thought it was something I had done
> in that (see previous post) anyway I was wrong ...
>
> I have since removed the planetccrma-core packages and
> planetccrma-core-edge kernel and now my PC shuts down cleanly ...
>
> Has this happened to anyone else ?
>
> What can I do about it ?
>
> Cheers,
>
> DaveB

Hi Dave. This may not have anything to do with your problem.

Installed FC5, did the updates, which also installed a new
kernel-2.6.16-1.2122_fc5. Then installed the planetccrma repos to yum, then
installed planetccrma core/core-edge, can't remember which, but ended up with
kernel-2.6.16-1.2080.13.rrt.rhfc5.ccrma, and the kernel-modules-alsa package
that goes with it. No problems with that, and the sounds work fine.

Some days later, more updates brought kernel-2.6.16-1.2133_fc5. This one seems
to be creating some problems, and conflicts with the kernel-modules-alsa
package for the planetccrma kernel.

If I bootup using the 2133 kernel, it boots up ok, but there are problems
shutting down, lots of errors then a trace runs, and ends up with a segfault
and the shutdown stalled.

I removed the 2133 kernel completely, then reinstalled it, getting 3 warnings
about it not being able to work with ccrma's kernel-modules-alsa package.

Shut down the machine, booted up with the 2133 kernel, shut down and same
problems again with a segfault and the shutdown stalling.

I have another install of FC5 on the same machine, which does not have any
planetccrma software on it. There are no problems with the 2133 kernel on
this, and shutdown proceeds as it should.

It may be worth removing the 2133 kernel, reinstalling the planetccrma sfuff,
including the kernel, and kernel-module-alsa package, and see if the machine
shuts down ok.

I do have the messages from the halted shutdown if you want to see them
Fernando.

Nigel.