[PlanetCCRMA] Shutdown Problems

Wed Jun 14 18:20:02 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-15 at 01:09 +0200, nigel henry wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 June 2006 23:18, david beetham wrote:
> > Hiya,
> >
> > Recently switched to Fedora Core 5 and am trying to set-up Planet ...
> >
> > I installed planetccrma-core and then the planetccrma-core-edge ...
> >
> > This completed successfully in YUMEX ...
> >
> > I then shutdown my PC but the shutdown didn't complete successfully ...
> >
> > I was messing about with dmesg and thought it was something I had done
> > in that (see previous post) anyway I was wrong ...
> >
> > I have since removed the planetccrma-core packages and
> > planetccrma-core-edge kernel and now my PC shuts down cleanly ...
> >
> > Has this happened to anyone else ?
> >
> > What can I do about it ?
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > DaveB
>
> Hi Dave. This may not have anything to do with your problem.
>
> Installed FC5, did the updates, which also installed a new
> kernel-2.6.16-1.2122_fc5. Then installed the planetccrma repos to yum, then
> installed planetccrma core/core-edge, can't remember which, but ended up with
> kernel-2.6.16-1.2080.13.rrt.rhfc5.ccrma, and the kernel-modules-alsa package
> that goes with it. No problems with that, and the sounds work fine.
>
> Some days later, more updates brought kernel-2.6.16-1.2133_fc5. This one seems
> to be creating some problems, and conflicts with the kernel-modules-alsa
> package for the planetccrma kernel.
>
> If I bootup using the 2133 kernel, it boots up ok, but there are problems
> shutting down, lots of errors then a trace runs, and ends up with a segfault
> and the shutdown stalled.
>
> I removed the 2133 kernel completely, then reinstalled it, getting 3 warnings
> about it not being able to work with ccrma's kernel-modules-alsa package.

Could you please send the exact stuff you got? (if you still have it, of
course). Perhaps yum is complaining about not finding the
kernel-modules-alsa packages for kernel 2133, which is to be expected.

> Shut down the machine, booted up with the 2133 kernel, shut down and same
> problems again with a segfault and the shutdown stalling.
>
> I have another install of FC5 on the same machine, which does not have any
> planetccrma software on it. There are no problems with the 2133 kernel on
> this, and shutdown proceeds as it should.
>
> It may be worth removing the 2133 kernel, reinstalling the planetccrma sfuff,
> including the kernel, and kernel-module-alsa package, and see if the machine
> shuts down ok.
>
> I do have the messages from the halted shutdown if you want to see them
> Fernando.

Yes, please send any info you have on this.
Sounds weird as both kernels should not interfere with each other.

-- Fernando