[PlanetCCRMA] Why we we have to use Red Hat?

Dave Phillips dlphilp@bright.net
Fri Jan 28 07:30:02 2005

Hi Matt:

I think 2.6.10 recently made into the repository. And IIRC, 2.6.x
kernels are available for Planet C only if you're willing to struggle
with FC.

Speaking of that struggle: I desperately want to rid my FC3 system of
that godawful default window manager. Anyone have some tips ? Things
have changed a bit from RH -> FC, I'd like to switch completely but I
need to trash that wm asap. I prefer Blackbox, but am willing to try
Fluxbox too.

Btw, if you want Csound you're probably going to have to compile it
yourself, and you'll have some choices to make. If you want the 4.2x
release it's fairly straightforward to build and install. Csound5 is in
CVS and under intense testing, it's the new way Csound will follow but
it's definitely not ready for prime time. And you will need some
components not found in standard distros (SWIG, boost, threaded FLTK,
Portaudio, Portmidi, Python 2.3, and the Scons build system).

Best,

dp