[PlanetCCRMA] ardour error

R Parker rtp405@yahoo.com
Tue Jan 25 03:37:00 2005

Hi Mike,

--- mike@banta.psyc.missouri.edu wrote:

Can someone tell
> me how much I should
> trust the audio meters in Ardour?

I trust the Ardour and JAMin meters. I've done
extensive mastering which requires accurate amplitude
and what I see in their meters is consistent at the
DM-24.

sndfile-info is useful for finding max level in a
song:
[studio@stepdaddy master]$ sndfile-info lesbian.wav

Version : libsndfile-1.0.11

File : lesbian.wav
Length : 28225580
RIFF : 28225572
WAVE
fmt  : 16
  Format        : 0x1 => WAVE_FORMAT_PCM
  Channels      : 2
  Sample Rate   : 44100
  Block Align   : 4
  Bit Width     : 16
  Bytes/sec     : 176400
data : 28225536
End

Sample Rate : 44100
Frames      : 7056384
Channels    : 2
Format      : 0x00010002
Sections    : 1
Seekable    : TRUE
Duration    : 00:02:40.008
Signal Max  : 21654 (-3.60 dB)

You can also use jaaa as an oscilator and follow the
routes around.

  Because, even
> when all individual
> tracks stay under zero, and the master does as well,
> I still here what
> sounds like clipping at the output.

Are they xruns?

  This seems to
> be concurrent with
> peaking of the sum of all tracks, rather than an
> individual one.  Also, my
> preamp has a hard limiter on it at 0, which goes
> into a delta44..so input
> should be ok, espically since ardour's input meters
> never go above -3.
>
> So, should I need to keep ardour's master well under
> "0"?

No. That's definitely not my experience.

  And when
> mastering with jamin, can I trust those meters? Are
> there any meters I can
> run through jack which can be trusted?

Are you sure the problem is levels and not xruns? Are
you using Qjackctl? Its graphic routing/patchbay makes
it easy to check that you haven't got unintended
alsa_pcm:playback routes.

Anyway, I think you can trust the meters. Maybe
something has recently changed but I doubt it.

ron