[PlanetCCRMA] Installing the ccrma kernal

Mon Jan 24 09:25:01 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-24 at 09:06, aaron Moore wrote:
> Have just tried to install the kernals for fedora 2.  Unfortunately when I test
> them I get no connection to the net and the sound card (that was recognised)
> made a stream of nasty repetative sounds.

Which kernel of the two available? Which soundcard do you have? Network
card? What application did you use to test? Any error output in the
output of dmesg or in /var/log/messages?

> The original kernal still works fine.  If I upgrade my distibution and download
> the ccrma audio apps with the original kernal will one of the new kernals use
> the new downloaded apps, or have I gone badly wrong?

I don't know if I understand the question. All apps will work with the
original Fedora kernel. With one big exception. You will not be able to
use the Jack server as a non-root user, and many (or most) of the cool
things you can run depend on Jack being there.

-- Fernando