[PlanetCCRMA] multi card fc2

Steve Harris S.W.Harris@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sat Jan 15 08:40:03 2005

On Fri, Jan 14, 2005 at 10:12:43AM -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 17:50:37 +0000, Steve Harris
> <S.W.Harris@ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 14, 2005 at 05:40:29AM -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
> > > [QUESTION] Can anyone tell me why Mozilla should be able to change the
> > > clock frequency of the sound card anyway???? [/QUESTION]
> >
> > Heh, for the same reason JACK can.
> >
> > To get round this problem I stuck a $10 soundcard next to my hammerfall
> > and made that card0, which is opened by mozilla and friends.
> >
> > - Steve
>
> Yeah, maybe that's the answer, but then I guess I have to find a path
> back to my speakers to get audio from apps that don't know that I want
> it to go through the HDSP to get to the monitors. You must use and
> external mixer? I don't, other than a couple of spare inputs on the
> 002 Rack which don't work unless Pro Tools is up and running.

Yeah, I use a mixer with an ADAT card in it for my io.

> Is this possibly some HDSP 9652 design issue that Alsa is trying to
> deal with? Possibly the HDSP 9652 doesn't do resampling in hardware?

It almsost certainyl doesnt do resampling in hardware, it would be hard
for it to get acceptable quality.

> (not sure) Would there possibly be some method that's more Alsa
> centric, like some default device in an asound.rc file that Mozilla
> would talk to and then that device would send to the HDSP without
> changing frequencies? I don't care about audio quality in this case. I
> just want Alsa to not muck with the HDSP clocks when other PCs are
> feeding important audio through the card.

Yes, I think you can create virtual device that are link your hardware
one, but with certain values fixed.

> I've never managed to make anything useful in the asound.rc file yet.
> I'd need some guidance. LAU? Sign up for Alsa-User/Alsa-Devel again?

Me neither, I'm not sure where to go for help, there is a wiki or similar
I think.

- Steve