[PlanetCCRMA] what's the best distro - RH9, FCn?

Mark Knecht Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com>
Fri Jan 14 07:37:01 2005

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 15:24:12 -0000, Crispin <cc26@ohm.york.ac.uk> wrote:
> > as far as nvidia drivers go (video card, i assume), using a
> > fedora core
> > 2 installation will allow you to go to kernel 2.6.8 - anything above
> > that breaks all of the nvidia card drivers (as far as i can make out).
>
> Is it possible to use 2.4 kernels with FC2?  I've tried 2.6 (I forget which)
> on my RH9 installation and it constantly had problems, 2.4 on the other hand
> is stable.
>
> --
> Crispin

It might be. Not sure. One problem I ran into a while back was that a
newer distro has a newer C compiler but the older kernel had driver
code that wasn't acceptable anymore and I couldn't compile what I
needed so I gave up.

Other than that (which is almost nothing) it's probably not a big deal
to just grab a kernel, build it and see if it boots, but whether it
will do everythign you need is a difficult question to answer from a
distance.

- Mark