[PlanetCCRMA] Mozzila messes up HDSP 9652 clocking???

Mark Knecht Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com>
Sun Jan 9 15:03:02 2005

Ay,
   Poor Mark here suffering though yet another weird Alsa thing.
Before I go enter bugs that will never be fixed in the Alsa bug list I
hope someone here can help me work around this as it's a real major
problem for me. Thanks in advance.

   I have my Planet box with the HDSP 9652 as the center of my ADAT
compatible world. The Planet box is in the middle between multiple
ADAT sources and acts as the clock master for every ADAT device.

PC<=====> PC <=====> PC
XP                Planet                XP
GSt                                      Pro Tools
 ^                                            ^
 |                                              |
 =======< MIDI <=======

It's actually more complicated than that, but this is enough to
demonstrate the problem. The Planet box in the middle supplies clocks
to the other two machines. The other two machines are told to sync to
ADAT, which they do. Everything works fine and can run for hours
without a glitch...

...until I run Mozilla. When I run Mozilla and change pages, the Pro
Tools box tells me that the ADAT clock is invalid and shuts down
playback of Pro Tools sessions.

   So, the question are:

1) Why does this happen in the first place?
2) Is there anything I can do with Mozilla configuration (under Gnome
in this case) to shut off it's use of audio?
3) Has anyone else expierenced problems like this?

I had to fall back to an older kernel due to the 2.6.10 kernel filling
up my logs with HDSP messages.

[mark@Godzilla mark]$ uname -a
Linux Godzilla 2.6.8.1-1.520.2vS7.ll.rhfc2.ccrma #1 Tue Oct 5 15:28:09
PDT 2004 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux
[mark@Godzilla mark]$

Thanks,
Mark