[PlanetCCRMA] Planet from FC1 to FC3

Sat Jan 8 14:43:01 2005

On Sat, 2005-01-08 at 00:39, Timo Sivula wrote:
> I decided to give FC3 a try with my planet box, I did a "from scratch"
> install on a separate drive for safety's sake. I chose the middle
> alternative of the SElinux alternatives. Once installed I logged on to
> the Planet home page and followed the instructions.
>
> a) I have an SMC2802w V2 card that needs Ndiswrapper to work installed.
> FC3 believes this is a V1 version of the card and installs the prism54
> driver for it, which does not work. I get the card to work by compiling
> and installing Ndiswrapper 0.7, and issuing:
>
> $rmmod prism54
> $rmmod ndiswrapper
> $modprobe ndiswrapper
>
> I need to do this every time I reboot, because of some reason there is a
> line in /etc/modprobe.conf that aliases the card to prism54. I have
> commented the line out but something rewrites the line every time I
> booat, so the prism54 module is loaded every boot and blocks the card. I
> edited /etc/sysconfig/hwconf and took out the line referring to the card
> and told kudzu to ignore the card when rebooting. Still no luck,
> /etc/modprobe.conf is edited every time I boot the box. Who edits my
> files?

I think it is some component of kudzu. You could try to see what happens
if you disable that automatic startup of kudzu:
  /sbin/chkconfig --del kudzu
In some situations kudzu is a pain.....

> b) I cannot find /boot/grub/grub.conf! There is a link, /etc/grub.conf
> that links to /boot/grub/grub.conf, but the link is dead. I have
> installed both planet kernels, the edge 2.6.9 and the stable 2.6.10.
> "rpm -q kernel" lists them, but I can not boot into them because they
> are not offered to me at boot time. Strangely, I can select the linuxant
> kernel I installed before I started the planet configuration. There is a
> file called menu.lst in the grub directory that links to grub.conf. Is
> this the file I should edit?

I don't know and this is strange. What is the content of that file? Do
you have a /boot directory? Or do you have a separate /boot partition?
(check /etc/fstab) Do you have a subdirectory /boot/grub in either case?
What is in there?

> c) audio-apps audiovideo-apps as referred to on the planet home page do
> not exist.

Sorry, I have not created them yet......
-- Fernando