[PlanetCCRMA] Rebuilding Kernel 2.6.10

Fri Jan 7 23:24:01 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-07 at 18:46, Saul Lethbridge wrote:
> Your comments hit the mark...I'm not interested in recompiling
> kernels...however I am interested in using Linux. I'm trying to install the
> driver for my Darla 20 (echo audio), which I have successfully done with the
> stock FC3 kernel. I've consulted the author of the driver who basically
> pushed the problems I'm experiencing back on the CCRMA kernel - see post
> above. So I was told to recompile the 2.6.10 kernel to see if the fixed the
> errors I'm experiencing. I've never had this much trouble compiling the
> driver in the past which is why I'm stuck!

Sorry for the problems.
Recompiling the kernel will not help (I think). Extra drivers should be
able to find the information they need (kernel headers and all that) in
the /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build directory, or so I've been told.
Perhaps some drivers need extra information or are not smart enough to
find the stuff that's there.

But there's something interesting. In the Darla 20 driver page (I was
just looking there to see what it was involved) it says:

 "The driver has been included in alsa-driver-1.0.8rc2"

Which is the version I was (unsuccessfully) trying to compile a couple
of days ago. So probably the drivers will be part of Planet CCRMA soon.

-- Fernando