[PlanetCCRMA] Planet from FC1 to FC3

Timo Sivula timo.sivula@luukku.com
Sat Jan 8 00:40:01 2005

Hi,

I decided to give FC3 a try with my planet box, I did a "from scratch"
install on a separate drive for safety's sake. I chose the middle
alternative of the SElinux alternatives. Once installed I logged on to
the Planet home page and followed the instructions.

a) I have an SMC2802w V2 card that needs Ndiswrapper to work installed.
FC3 believes this is a V1 version of the card and installs the prism54
driver for it, which does not work. I get the card to work by compiling
and installing Ndiswrapper 0.7, and issuing:

$rmmod prism54
$rmmod ndiswrapper
$modprobe ndiswrapper

I need to do this every time I reboot, because of some reason there is a
line in /etc/modprobe.conf that aliases the card to prism54. I have
commented the line out but something rewrites the line every time I
booat, so the prism54 module is loaded every boot and blocks the card. I
edited /etc/sysconfig/hwconf and took out the line referring to the card
and told kudzu to ignore the card when rebooting. Still no luck,
/etc/modprobe.conf is edited every time I boot the box. Who edits my
files?

b) I cannot find /boot/grub/grub.conf! There is a link, /etc/grub.conf
that links to /boot/grub/grub.conf, but the link is dead. I have
installed both planet kernels, the edge 2.6.9 and the stable 2.6.10.
"rpm -q kernel" lists them, but I can not boot into them because they
are not offered to me at boot time. Strangely, I can select the linuxant
kernel I installed before I started the planet configuration. There is a
file called menu.lst in the grub directory that links to grub.conf. Is
this the file I should edit?

c) audio-apps audiovideo-apps as referred to on the planet home page do
not exist.

Anybody else with similar experiences? Any existing solutions?

br, Timo