[PlanetCCRMA] Rebuilding Kernel 2.6.10

Saul Lethbridge saul_lethbridge@hotmail.com
Fri Jan 7 18:48:01 2005

Your comments hit the mark...I'm not interested in recompiling
kernels...however I am interested in using Linux. I'm trying to install the
driver for my Darla 20 (echo audio), which I have successfully done with the
stock FC3 kernel. I've consulted the author of the driver who basically
pushed the problems I'm experiencing back on the CCRMA kernel - see post
above. So I was told to recompile the 2.6.10 kernel to see if the fixed the
errors I'm experiencing. I've never had this much trouble compiling the
driver in the past which is why I'm stuck!

Any help very much appreciated.

>From: Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>
>To: Saul Lethbridge <saul_lethbridge@hotmail.com>
>Subject: Re: [PlanetCCRMA] Rebuilding Kernel 2.6.10
>Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 21:25:49 -0500
>
>Saul Lethbridge writes:
> > Ok...I need to rebuild my kernel to install my audio card driver.
However I
> > haven't had much help/luck so far. I have installed
> > kernel-2.6.10-2.1.ll.src.rpm - I was told that this should put a
> > corresponding spec file in /usr/src/redhat/SPECS - however after
installing
> > (I'm not convinced it actually did as it isnt' listed as installed
in
> > synaptic) the only spec file I have is kernel.spec
>
>That is what it's called. If you open and read it, you might find
>yourself convinced.
>
>However, if you're unclear about such things, are you rather for the
>rather arcane task of kernel compilation? What audio card driver--and
>how is recompiling supposed to help you?
>
>In other words, there might be a very good reason why it's not there,
>especially as the Planet kernels are aimed at audio work.
>

> > I assume that without this spec file I won't be able to rebuild my
kernel?
> > Can anybody help? I really want to check out all these audio apps,
and
> > don't want to be forced to Windows again (even if it is easier to
install a
> > driver).

>--
>
>Janina Sajka				Phone: +1.202.494.7040
>Partner, Capital Accessibility LLC	http://www.CapitalAccessibility.Com
>
>Chair, Accessibility Workgroup		Free Standards Group (FSG)
>janina@freestandards.org		http://a11y.org
>
>If Linux can't solve your computing problem, you need a different
problem.

Find love today with ninemsn personals. Click here:
http://ninemsn.match.com?referrer=hotmailtagline