[SpHEAR-devel] latest musings (PCB, new Octathingy, calibration and more)

Marc Lavallée marc at hacklava.net
Sat Jun 23 14:20:49 PDT 2018

Hi, and thanks for the news!

The new designs are just beautiful. I like the "flower power" one; it's
so Californian... ;)

I still hope that one day I'll be able to build and calibrate some sort
of ambisonics microphone, so the SpHEAR project is on my radar, along
with the AAMA project (https://iaem.at/kurse/projekte/iemkit/aama)

I would appreciate opinions on this:

I started a related project: building a binaural microphone, for
measurements and recording, using very small Knowles capsules. One thing
I have to learn is how to calibrate microphone capsules, and I found an
interesting article about a calibration technique that doesn't require
an anechoic environment, and I wondered if a similar technique could be
used for the measurement and calibration of ambisonics microphones:

https://www.scribd.com/document/321928725/Microphone-Calibration-by-Transfer-Function-Comparison-Method

Of course it'd be impossible to place a reference microphone at the
center of an ambisonics microphone, but I guess it'd be fine to first
measure the reference microphone (a few times for averaging) then the
ambisonics microphone by making sure its center is at the same spot than
the previously measured reference microphone. Does it make sense (or am
I too optimistic)?

Marc