[SpHEAR-devel] F8 ambisonics mode

Mon Oct 16 12:11:41 PDT 2017

(on a trip in Buenos Aires visiting family so short)...

On 10/16/2017 11:15 AM, Tim Maloney wrote:

> On Oct 12, 2017, at 12:00 PM, sphear-devel-request at ccrma.Stanford.EDU wrote:
>
>> It can record all four capsules (A-format) and monitor in stereo,
>> presumably doing an A-B conversion and stereo microphone rendering.
>
> Got it, installed it, tested it….
>
> But since I am in the middle of figuring out how to calibrate my *SpHEAR, I’m not sure how I would use it?  I’m assuming, as you are, that the filtering and combining stages are designed for already balanced and filtered signals coming into the F8.  So recording straight to B format would be a PROBLEM for me, yes?  I would want the separate signals as A format so that I can preprocess before converting to B…

This would be just for monitoring after you are done - or even before.
If you record B format you will get something but it will be
"sub-standard" as the conversion is not tuned for your microphone, just
for the Ambeo and I don't know what kind of filtering they are doing.
The Ambeo does not have per-microphone calibrations available,
supposedly they are so good they don't need one (I don't quite buy that).

>> PS: just now starting to catch up after a LONG Summer long marathon
>> setting up a new 56.8 speaker array in our small concert hall, the
>> Stage, inaugural concerts last week (Wed/Thu).
>
> Now THAT sounds exciting!  What is the difference between your 64 channels and Atmos?  Or is it pretty much Atmos, just the DIY version?

Nothing to do with Atmos at all. Atmos is a proprietary system,
completely closed and you have to buy their stuff to play or record or
create. You can imagine that does not excite me :-)

This is used with other systems, you can either have direct access to
all speakers and use whatever you want, or you can use HOA (High Order
Ambisonics) with a built-in "perfectly" tuned decoder. It was (is) a
complicated project for many reasons. We played pieces in 5th and 6th
order full 3D Ambisonics for the concerts, and also other pieces that
used speakers directly.

Best,
-- Fernando