[SpHEAR-devel] F8 ambisonics mode

Tim Maloney nakedrabbit at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 11:15:32 PDT 2017

On Oct 12, 2017, at 12:00 PM, sphear-devel-request at ccrma.Stanford.EDU wrote:

> It can record all four capsules (A-format) and monitor in stereo,
> presumably doing an A-B conversion and stereo microphone rendering.

Got it, installed it, tested it….

But since I am in the middle of figuring out how to calibrate my *SpHEAR, I’m not sure how I would use it?  I’m assuming, as you are, that the filtering and combining stages are designed for already balanced and filtered signals coming into the F8.  So recording straight to B format would be a PROBLEM for me, yes?  I would want the separate signals as A format so that I can preprocess before converting to B…

> PS: just now starting to catch up after a LONG Summer long marathon
> setting up a new 56.8 speaker array in our small concert hall, the
> Stage, inaugural concerts last week (Wed/Thu).

Now THAT sounds exciting!  What is the difference between your 64 channels and Atmos?  Or is it pretty much Atmos, just the DIY version?

I was just up in SF this weekend for the Recombinant Festival - a friend was debuting her film in Naut Humon’s “Cinechamber,” which is a 10-screen 360 video installation.  We all got excited talking about the sound possibilities for this presentation.  Right now they are using 6 channels and it’s kind of wonky.  I’m pretty sure they’re calibrated with an SPL meter on site for the installation, but it seems that there’s no set way of creating and monitoring the sound before they set up the show.  I’m trying to think of ways to employ more of a soundfield approach for the space… Wish we could do 64 like you’re doing!

Tim Maloney
Professor, Department of Cinema and Television Arts
California State University, Fullerton
657.278.2923  CP650-22