[PlanetCCRMA] Includes DAW and Synths?

Tue Oct 20 13:19:10 PDT 2020

On 10/18/20 10:27 AM, Martyn Cox wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can someone advise Planet CCRMA a one box audio solution for linux or
> will I still need to source a DAW and plugin synths, effects etc? Wiki
> is sparse on detail, from what I understand it is an OS with lowest
> latencies for audio baked in but it’s not clear on whether it comes with
> DAW baked in or not.

Planet CCRMA is a repository that is added to the standard Fedora
repositories. It is not a "complete OS" with everything "baked in". To
add Planet CCRMA packages you first need to install Fedora and then add
what you need.

> I’m collating all software I can for an off-line install on a dedicated
> linux audio machine with no inet so ideally want to grab everything I
> can now before I attempt. I don;’t want to be left high and dry once
> PlanetCCRMA is installed that I can’t actually make any music or produce
> any sounds with virtual synthesizers.

How are you planning on doing the install without a network?

Stuff like DAWs (Ardour & others) and plugins (LADSPA, LV2, DSSI &
others) have mostly moved to Fedora itself (ie: you do not need Planet
CCRMA for that). The regular kernel, when properly tuned, is good enough
for _most_ uses.

Planet CCRMA currently does not add that much stuff to Fedora, and what
it adds is more "specialized" (supercollider, pd and other software).
And a kernel that is patched for best realtime behavior.

If you are trying things out I would install Fedora and see if what you
are looking for is there. But I imagine that is hard to do if you do not
have a network connection once you are running Fedora...