[PlanetCCRMA] Includes DAW and Synths?

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at znmeb.net
Tue Oct 20 13:51:24 PDT 2020

There is a Fedora Jam installer that brings in a large collection of
audio tools at once: https://labs.fedoraproject.org/en/jam/

Warnings:
1. Last time I looked it was using the KDE desktop. If that's not to
your liking you'll need to install a different desktop.
2. It is large. It has just about every audio package available.

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 1:26 PM Fernando Lopez-Lezcano
<nando at ccrma.stanford.edu> wrote:

> On 10/18/20 10:27 AM, Martyn Cox wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Can someone advise Planet CCRMA a one box audio solution for linux or
> > will I still need to source a DAW and plugin synths, effects etc? Wiki
> > is sparse on detail, from what I understand it is an OS with lowest
> > latencies for audio baked in but it’s not clear on whether it comes with
> > DAW baked in or not.
>
> Planet CCRMA is a repository that is added to the standard Fedora
> repositories. It is not a "complete OS" with everything "baked in". To
> add Planet CCRMA packages you first need to install Fedora and then add
> what you need.
>
> > I’m collating all software I can for an off-line install on a dedicated
> > linux audio machine with no inet so ideally want to grab everything I
> > can now before I attempt. I don;’t want to be left high and dry once
> > PlanetCCRMA is installed that I can’t actually make any music or produce
> > any sounds with virtual synthesizers.
>
> How are you planning on doing the install without a network?
>
> Stuff like DAWs (Ardour & others) and plugins (LADSPA, LV2, DSSI &
> others) have mostly moved to Fedora itself (ie: you do not need Planet
> CCRMA for that). The regular kernel, when properly tuned, is good enough
> for _most_ uses.
>
> Planet CCRMA currently does not add that much stuff to Fedora, and what
> it adds is more "specialized" (supercollider, pd and other software).
> And a kernel that is patched for best realtime behavior.
>
> If you are trying things out I would install Fedora and see if what you
> are looking for is there. But I imagine that is hard to do if you do not
> have a network connection once you are running Fedora...
>
> -- Fernando

Borasky Research Journal https://www.znmeb.mobi

Markovs of the world, unite! You have nothing to lose but your chains!