[PlanetCCRMA] Fedora 30

Fri May 17 09:27:53 PDT 2019

On 5/17/19 1:59 AM, ycollette.nospam at free.fr wrote:
> You can find the repo of the kernel spec file here: https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/kernel.git
>
> The current list of patches on the master of this repo:
>
> ./die-floppy-die.patch
> Some patches are ARM only but the fedora kernel is not a really "vanilla" kernel.

AFAIK they patch known vulnerabilities and obvious bugs (as reported in
bugzilla.redhat).

> And I think some patches are not RT safe ...

Any info on which ones?

A very very long time ago in another universe I used to add the rt
patches on top of plain vanilla kernels, but eventually switched to
keeping the Fedora patches to make the kernels more compatible with the
ones installed by default. It also makes it a snap to use their .src.rpm
builds as a base for mine (I do an emacs ediff to merge changes each time).

I use my own RT patches kernels (with the Fedora patches) in production
all the time with no ill effects that I can detect. For the work I do I
really need the RT patches - while the stock kernel has gotten much
better it is still not enough, even with "threadirqs" enabled and proper
irq prioritization.

(when I upgraded our Listening Room diffusion control system I really
tried to use stock kernels but could not, for example an ssh into the
machine would pretty much always trigger a bunch of xruns...)

> I really like the name of the first patch by the way :)

Poor little floppies!

(I still have a few 8 inch floppies for old time's sake - they used to
boot the OS of the synclavier they had at LIPM in Argentina :-)

-- Fernando