[PlanetCCRMA] Problem when grabbing a video from Firewire, probably because of access configuration

Yoann LE BARS yoann at le-bars.net
Fri Dec 1 13:06:18 PST 2017

Hello everybody out there!

	I get a strange error when I try to grab video from my recorder
connected to my desktop computer (which runs Fedora 27 and Planet CCRMA)
using Firewire:

$ dvgrab --autosplit --timestamp --format hdv session-
raw1394 - failed to get handle: No space left on device.

	There is probably no problem with space on disk (nor on the video
tape), as I have been able to grab the video clip on my laptop computer
(which runs Debian 9) and then put the video on the hard-drive of my
desktop computer. As I have more than 70 GiO available on my desktop
computer, I think we cannot say I am short in space.

	I have been looking on the Internet, I did not find anything hat would
help me to solve this. I have tried to add the following rules:

$ $ cat /etc/udev/rules.d/95_firewire.rules
# /etc/udev/rules.d/z95_firewire.rules

# Set GROUP="video" for some IEEE 1394 device types, driven by the new
firewire stack.
# We cannot use the GROUP directive because the significant device type
attributes
# live in child devices. So change the group after the fact with chgrp.

# IIDC devices: industrial cameras and some webcams
KERNEL=="dv1394*|video1394*|raw1394*|fw[0-9]*",    GROUP="video"

# libraw1394 older than v2.0.1 and some special-purpose applications
also need
# access to the local node(s).  Alas there is no simple way to tell
local nodes apart
# from remote ones; here is a simple hack.

SUBSYSTEM=="firewire", ATTR{vendor_name}=="Linux Firewire", GROUP="video"

	And I have added myself to the group “video”:

$ groups
yoann wheel video

	After reboot, I still have the same problem. As Dvgrab used to be part
of Planet CCRMA packages, and as Planet CCRMA core is changing rights, I
wonder if one of you would have any idea on how to solve this – I mean,
in another way than grab videos on my laptop and then put them on my
desktop computer.

	Regards.

--
Yoann LE BARS