[PlanetCCRMA] Problem when grabbing a video from Firewire, probably because of access configuration

Fri Dec 1 22:51:29 PST 2017

On 12/01/2017 01:06 PM, Yoann LE BARS wrote:
> Hello everybody out there!

Hi Yoann,

> 	I get a strange error when I try to grab video from my recorder
> connected to my desktop computer (which runs Fedora 27 and Planet CCRMA)
> using Firewire:
>
> $ dvgrab --autosplit --timestamp --format hdv session-
> raw1394 - failed to get handle: No space left on device.

Weird, I have not tried firewire capture in a long long time. Do you see
any messages in dmesg or /var/log/messages that might be related (and
give a clue)?.

Another debugging option would be to use strace and see which system
call is triggering the error (in a terminal do "strace program &>
trace_log", ctrl-c out of it and then look at what happens towards the
end).

What about permissions in /dev/raw1394 (and other 1394 device files)?,
including selinux contexts (might be in a different location?). There is
also /var/log/audit/audit.log, I think, there could be selinux messages
there.

Yet another test could be to boot into the Fedora kernel and try again
(to see if this is somehow related to the RT patches). Or even to try to
run as root (yuck!) to see if there is something permission related that
gets fixed that way.

Sorry to not have solutions...
-- Fernando