[PlanetCCRMA] Getting back to Planet CCRMA

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at znmeb.net
Tue Jun 28 21:10:33 PDT 2016

OK, experiences in foreign lands it is.

1. My original reason for leaving Fedora to Debian (testing aka "Stretch")
was that RStudio Server isn't supported on Fedora. I tried Mint, Ubuntu LTS
and the current Ubuntu (Wily Werewolf back then) and I couldn't get a
decent desktop. Mint Cinnamon was the best, but it was still not the latest
GNOME 3. So I installed Debian Stable and upgraded immediately to Testing.
I wasn't doing any audio at the time.
2. The migration from Debian to Ubuntu came about because I was working on
a project that used Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, again non-audio. The desktops for
12.04 were crappy, so I installed a late beta of 16.04 with GNOME 3.18.
3. Ubuntu Studio - it's got an XFCE desktop if you install the whole thing,
but I only care about audio and data science. So I just installed the audio
meta-package. I ported all my scripts to it and it installs the low-latency
kernel by default!
4. Demo Day for the Ubuntu project was a week ago and I spent the rest of
the week at Open Source Bridge. Meanwhile Fedora 24 came out and it has two
features I really want - GNOME 3.20 and GCC 6. I did manage to get 3.20
onto Ubuntu but GCC 6 won't happen there ever, I'm guessing. And Fedora is
much closer to the mainstream on things like Docker, which I use heavily.
So I went back to Fedora.

Frankly, Fedora is a struggle. Third parties only regularly support Debian
Stable, Ubuntu *LTS* and CentOS / RHEL. Fedora is doing some absolutely
wonderful things that'll show up in CentOS / RHEL some day. Fortunately my
machines have enough RAM that I can run services in Debian or Ubuntu
virtual machines or Docker containers. If I were doing nothing but audio
I'd stick with Ubuntu Studio, though.