[PlanetCCRMA] fedora 17 partial success

Sat Jun 2 17:11:56 PDT 2012

On 06/02/2012 03:54 PM, Oded Ben-Tal wrote:
> I installed Fedora 17 on my thinkpad. I was able to install the
> rt-kernel and simple application seem to be working fine (audio+ video
> web/vlc).
> Jack is behaving rather strange with my USB soundcard (Quattro so rather
> old).
> I could only get jackd to start in playback mode only. When I try in&
> out jack doesn't start. I can see some error messages:
> Cannot lock down 107302426 byte memory area (Cannot allocate memory)
> alsa driver seem to be created (?)
> but then...
> ALSA: could not start playback (Broken pipe)
> Cannot start driver
> JackServer::Start() failed with -1
> Failed to start server
>
> This happens even if I try to start with only 1 input and 1 output
> channels.

You mean jack? You can't start jack with an arbitrary number of chnanels
unless that happens to match the number of channels of the soundcard.
You have to let it query alsa and do what it can with the channels
available. What happens if you start it from the command line like:

   jackd -R -d alsa -d hw:0
?
It is going to be hard to see what is going on because jackd right now
is starting in verbose mode.

-- Fernando