[PlanetCCRMA] fedora 17 partial success

Oded Ben-Tal oded at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Sat Jun 2 15:54:28 PDT 2012

I installed Fedora 17 on my thinkpad. I was able to install the rt-kernel
and simple application seem to be working fine (audio+ video web/vlc).
Jack is behaving rather strange with my USB soundcard (Quattro so rather
old).
I could only get jackd to start in playback mode only. When I try in& out
jack doesn't start. I can see some error messages:
Cannot lock down 107302426 byte memory area (Cannot allocate memory)
alsa driver seem to be created (?)
but then...
ALSA: could not start playback (Broken pipe)
Cannot start driver
JackServer::Start() failed with -1
Failed to start server

This happens even if I try to start with only 1 input and 1 output
channels.

When I start with playback only the audio is completely distorted. In
supercollider it sounds that everything is just too loud and distorting.
With ardour I hear almost pure noise. I will try firewire tomorrow and
hope it work better.

Oded
Oded Ben-Tal
http://ccrma.stanford.edu/~oded