[PlanetCCRMA] Fedora rt kernels and ffado

Sun May 9 16:44:59 PDT 2010

On Sun, 2010-05-09 at 10:18 -0700, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-04-23 at 13:42 -0700, John Lyon wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've spent a couple of days trying to sort out my problem, so far with
> > no luck.  I hope one or more of you has the answer.  I've looked
> > through the PlanetCCRMA mailing list archive, and I see clues, but not
> > enough information for me to go on.  Here is my problem.
>
> Sigh. I can't answer right away but I will look at this. I _thought_ I
> was still building the Planet CCRMA rt kernels with the old firewire
> stack. The Fedora kernels are, well, a dead end for firewire sound in
> the name of "progress" (since fc7!).

BTW, this is the url to read:
https://ieee1394.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Juju_Migration

This is of note re: the new stack & audio:

----
Audio devices:
              * FireWire studio audio devices, driven by the Linux
                FireWire audio framework FFADO, can only be used with
                the new drivers if you upgrade to kernel 2.6.32 or later
                and to libraw1394 2.0.5 or later.
              * To use more than one audio device at once, kernel
                2.6.33-rc3 or later might possibly be required.
----

I have an install of fc12 that I am updating to the latest right now.
I'll check what's there when the upgrade is done. In fc11 it looks like
for the rt Planet CCRMA kernels the old stack is built in, I don't think
fc12 would be different... but... well, we'll see.

I am internally running 2.6.33 rt kernels with success but since those
break the nvidia driver that many are using I have not released them
yet. I thought 2.6.31 + nvidia binaries was fine...