[PlanetCCRMA] Fwd: Music: Broken Symmetry, Geometry, and Complexity (was Re: slime-sbcl dependency broken)

Niels Mayer nielsmayer at gmail.com
Sat Mar 13 22:26:39 PST 2010

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 1:54 PM, Juan Reyes <juanig at ccrma.stanford.edu>wrote:
>>Niels:

> > The other thing that would be interesting is to explore the
> > intersection between fractal self-similarities and rhythm/melody. Is
> > music, and that which sounds musical "fractal" in nature, much like
> > when we see something and instantly identify "tree" or "mountain" or
> > "coastline" because of their fractal nature? Do we appreciate when
> > music is more fractal, versus being a kind of latticework, infinite
> > pattern, or just a random potpourri of sounds strung together for no
> > purpose?
>
> This is a nice thought!

Along these lines I just came across a very interesting article from
"Notices of the American Match Society" which has an intersting  issue on
the Art of Mathematics:

Music: Broken Symmetry, Geometry, and Complexity
by Gary W. Don, Karyn K. Muir, Gordon B. Volk, James S. Walker
Notices of the American Match Society, Jan 2010, Vol 57, Num.1 , pp. 30-49.
http://www.univie.ac.at/nuhag-php/dateien/rtx100100030p.pdf
http://www.ams.org/notices/201001/rtx100100030p.pdf
http://www.uwec.edu/walkerjs/MBSGC/
http://www.gogeometry.com/software/fractal_music_spectogram_granular_system_video.html