[PlanetCCRMA] Any known USB audio interfaces that actually have four outputs that show up in Jack?

Sean Beeson seanbeeson at gmail.com
Thu Apr 29 03:05:12 PDT 2010

Well, after reading about how most of these interfaces and all their
ins and outs work under windows and OSX out of the box, I had to ask
myself why they work there and not under ALSA. I never needed anything
but two out before. Now that I look and digging through ALSA's
website, which has had some great updates in the knowledge base, I see
that there are some .asoundrc file tricks that have not been utilized
in a generic sense yet. The M-Audio FTP shows up as multiple cards and
each one shows up as a single device in Jack. I'm not sure how to
determine if they share a world/timing clock with each other, but it
seems that has to bind the cards/devices into one virtual device. I
have found the two places you can put an .asoundrc file, but ALSA
isn't reading for me. If one can get ALSA to read this when starting
this may be what is needed to get Jack to use all the devices as
outputs at the same time.
http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/.asoundrc#Joining_devices_to_make_multichannel
and http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/TwoCardsAsOne

I know I have the etc/modprobe.d/somename file being read correctly
because I am able to set the name of the for my M-Audio FTP. This is
more information you need to know about to try this:
http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/MultipleCards

I am at figuring out how to get the asoundrc file actually read.
Anyone know? I tried a .asoundrc file in /root for when I'm running
everything as root, but no luck yet.

-Sean