[PlanetCCRMA] PulseAudio, ALSA and Jack -- Where's The Forest? I Only See Trees.

Sean Beeson seanbeeson at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 08:22:10 PDT 2009

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 5:06 AM, kelly hirai <khirai at ongaku.isa-geek.net>wrote:

> you should look at the jack_* family of commands:
> jack_alias             jack_lsp               jack_simple_client
> jack_connect           jack_metro             jack_transport
> jack_disconnect        jack_midiseq           jack_transport_client
> jack_evmon             jack_midisine          jack_unload
> jack_freewheel         jack_monitor_client    jackd
> jack_impulse_grabber   jack_netsource         jackrec
> jack_load              jack_showtime
>
> kelly at sundog /home/kelly/xen $ jack_connect -h
> (null): JACK Audio Connection Kit version 0.116.2
>
> usage: (null) [options] port1 port2
> Connects two JACK ports together.
>
>         -s, --server <name>   Connect to the jack server named <name>
>         -v, --version         Output version information and exit
>         -h, --help            Display this help message
>
> For more information see http://jackaudio.org/
>
> i know not having proper man pages bites (you have to run the command not
> knowing the effects) but they do provide hints.
>
> kelly

Oh, wow! that just put a spotlight on things. Thanks, Kelly!

I did find  a man page on dice.net for Jackd. Are the man pages taken out of
the Planet CCRMA to save space? I had gone to jackaudio.org. Maybe I went
when they are just changing things. There is a chance I have too much on my
plate with all these applications and I am not focusing on the parts I
should.

 Now that I know there are all these commands I can use in /usr/bin/ That
should prove interesting. INteresting, I don:t have a few you list like
jack_transport, jack_transport_client, jack_impulse_grabber and
jack_netsource.

Thanks again!

> On Mon, 16 Mar 2009, David Ford wrote:
>
> > Hi Sean - please keep the questions going .
> > (from one of those who sit there wishing someone would ask.)
> > David

Thanks for the encouragement, David.  :-o

--Sean