[PlanetCCRMA] Shouldn't You Be Able to Run 32-bit Programs(SuperCollider, Pd and ChuCK) Under 64-Bit Fedora With Multilib

Sean Beeson seanbeeson at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 23:36:29 PDT 2009

I am preparing to build a Fedora 10 system on an AMD Athlon 64 X2 and AMD
780G chipset system and noticed that *Fernando mentions that if you want to
run 32-bit programs you should run the 32-bit version of Fedora 9 or 10. I
have a few 64-bit CentOS, Fedora 9 and Red Hat servers I work with and
multilibs usually gets included in the install of these. I think CentOS
actually promoted me if I wanted support for 32-bit programs, or was it
Fedora 9? Anyway, I have compiled, installed with yum and run 32-bit
programs without any problems under 64-bit plateforms. I usually haven't had
to think about it because it's always just been there as far as I remember
in the last few releases, so I am not very knowledgeable on the nuances of
running 32-bits programs under a 64-bit Fedora. I know there used to be some
problems, but was lucky enough to not have to deal with them then. Can't the
programs that are mentioned in the install notes run with multilib support?
Does the rt kernel cause problems with this?  I am hoping to me able to work
with PD on this system.

-Sean Beeson (the one in Japan)
***