[PlanetCCRMA] Another Hardware Compatibility Question, Oh Joy! -- M-Audio Fast track Pro

Sean Beeson seanbeeson at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 21:19:42 PDT 2009

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 1:02 PM, Sean Beeson <seanbeeson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you for the reply, Don.
>
>  I had eventually found some resent discussion on using the FTPro
> with Linux on Ardour's forum that gave me enough confidence to take
> the chance and buy one and picked up seem insight on how it would show
> up under a Linux system. Your footnotes are invaluable still--Thank
> you. Hopefully these posts will help others and also be a topic point
> for further discussion and help garner more support for the interface
> because it seems popular in the Windows world and it sounds really
> good for the price.
>
> I am actually just now putting together a Fedora 10 system and hope to
> report back on using it on that system. In the meantime I used it
> under Fedora 7 and it was recognized without me doing a thing. One
> thing to take note of and something I was give a heads up on in the
> Ardour forum was that the FTPro is actually is and shows up as two
> sound devices. The first is outputs 1 and 2 which has no inputs. The
> second as outputs 3 and 4, which include the inputs for Inst/line and
> SPDIF I/O. How SPDIF I/O is differentiated from the inst/line inputs I
> am not sure. I only set Jack to use the device for inputs 3 and 4 as
> the input and output device and I was able to get input from FTPro as
> well as output. So on the system the FTPro shows up as:

Sorry about that. The tab key move the curser to the send button.

Anyway, the FTPro shows up smoething as:

hw:0      outputs 1 and 2
hw:0,1    utputs 3 and 4, which include the inputs for Inst/line and SPDIF
I/O
the docs for the FTPro also mention this hen run under Windows

That is as far as I have gotten in any regard to functionality. Before I
have read in the Ardour forum:

"16-bit/48kHz 2 x 4 operation is class-compliant. Driver installation
required to access more I/O."
and
"There was a patch to get 24bit working which is now included in the ALSA
sources, so there are no problems with 24bit mode."

As of yet, I can not verify either. I hope to report after I get Fedora 10
and Planet CCRMA running.

-Sean (the one in Japan)