[PlanetCCRMA] Saffire Pro 10 not working on CCRMA/F10

David Nielson naptastic at comcast.net
Tue Feb 24 23:08:09 PST 2009

Step 1: If you haven't got a voodoo doll handy, go buy one.

OK, it's not that bad.

Check to make sure you have the raw1394 driver loaded using lsmod and
modprobe. You might need to download the latest version of libraw1394;
2.0.0 has been out for a while, but most distributions still ship
1.3.something IIRC. I haven't used F10 yet so I can't speak to that.

You should probably plug in and turn on the Saffire before booting the
computer. Understand that ALSA will have **nothing** to do with the
operation of this interface; ffado and ALSA operate independently of
each other.

When you start jackd, you must start it with the "firewire" driver
instead of the "alsa" driver. This is selected by a drop-down menu in
the qjackctl setup window, or if you start jack from the command line,
by adding "-d firewire" to the command.

I've only tried using ffado under Fedora 8 and Ubuntu, so Fedora 10 may
be significantly different, but I recommend building libraw1394, ffado
and jackd all from source, and getting the most updated versions you
can. (ffado and jackd both use subversion as I recall.)

Good luck!

David