[PlanetCCRMA] Sine waves in real time

Michael Curtis lists at moltenmercury.org
Sun Oct 21 14:44:00 2007

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 22:29:05 joey.a wrote:

> > Its a 4 year old amd xp2800. I could run about 140 voices in realtime at
> > 80% cpu usage,
>
> Interesting. Your clock is ~ half the speed of Bill's, yet you appear get ~
> the same performance, from the same software.
>
> Does this mean that AMD is ~twice as efficient as Intel, in music
> applications, or that Bill has specified for only 50% CPU loading?

Very much doubt that.  The new Pentium 4s (and Core 2s) have massive floating
point units which will easily best an Athlon XP.  I think what we might be
seeing is the impact of RAM speed.  Scheme is an interpreted language, and as
such will have a large memory footprint (especially Scheme, I think it would
be quite difficult to parse / execute for a computer).  Hence you're going to
find that the process is more "memory bound" (needs to access main memory),
whereas the highly optimised routines in SC probably fit entirely within the
L2 cache.

Hopefully that explanation makes sense to you.  I've done courses in Computer
Hardware so I hopefully I've explained things in a way that can be understood
by people who aren't Hardware geeks ;).