[PlanetCCRMA] Re: Sine Waves, Hardware, and Software

Kjetil S. Matheussen kjetil.matheussen at notam02.no
Mon Oct 22 09:53:01 2007

"joey.a":

> I guess the obvious question here, to both Kjetil S. Matheussen and Bill =
> Schottstaedt, is "Which processor and clock speed are you using?"

Its a 4 year old amd xp2800. I could run about 140 voices in realtime at
80% cpu usage, and about 60 voices in non-realtime 100% cpu usage. How
many voices I would get from supercollider, I don't know, but probably
a lot lot more. Supercollider works by creating a graph of generators
where each generator generates a block of samples for each iteration.
This has both advances and disadvances, and the biggest advance (I would
guess) is that its much faster. Common lisp music, on the other hand,
works by letting you create one large generator instead, which gives
more possibilities since you can edit each sample without sometimes
having to write your own generator in C.

> Also, while I am still awaiting the machinery, any advice on where I =
> should start for getting to grips with this syntax?

First step would be to learn scheme I guess.

Here is a simpler version:

(do ((i 0 (1+ i)))
     ((= i 30))
   (let ((osc (make-oscil (* 10 (1+ i))