[PlanetCCRMA] Partitioning a DAW, special?

Jan Depner eviltwin69@cableone.net
Mon Jan 15 19:04:01 2007

On Mon, 2007-01-15 at 11:09 -0800, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-01-14 at 06:40 -0800, sevol wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm about to install FC5 + PlanetCCRMA on a laptop & my search for info
> > about possible special partitioning needs for a Linux DAW hasn't
> > uncovered anything. This question isn't too rudimentary, I hope. Perhaps
> > I don't know where to look, but finding nothing to indicate differently
> > I'm thinking this will be ok:
> >
> > System Drive
> > 60GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100 (dual boot - 24GB taken by XP)
> >
> > /	 0.75GB
> > /usr	 7.00GB
> > /tmp	 2.00GB
> > /swap	 1.00GB
> > /var	 0.75GB
> > /home	24.50GB
>
> I usually use just "/", swap and "/home" (home separate so that you can
> reinstall the os from scratch and keep /home). I can't think of a good
> reason these days to split "/" into several partitions - old timers
> might remember that things like /tmp would go into a separate partition,
> what I fuzzily remember are concerns about /tmp filling up the whole
> root partition otherwise, and the potential for a hung computer...

    I basically do the same although I call /home something else (just
out of old habits).  I do create a separate /boot but it's only 100MB.
The rationale being that if you screw up something bad in / the system
may still boot.  Having been hosed on old Sun systems when /tmp filled
up I like to have everything in the same pot so that whatever needs more
space can get it.

--
Jan 'Evil Twin' Depner
http://myweb.cableone.net/eviltwin69

arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to
skid in sideways, chardonnay in one hand, chocolate in the other, body
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming 'WOO HOO, what a ride'"