[PlanetCCRMA] Partitioning a DAW, special?

Jan Depner eviltwin69@cableone.net
Mon Jan 15 19:07:02 2007

On Mon, 2007-01-15 at 20:52 +0000, Bob Wilkinson wrote:
> On that same note, Fernando, for speed on my desktop DAW, I assumed that installing two separate SATA hard drives - with / and swap on the first drive SATA0 location, and /home (all my audio files) on the other in SATA2 location would give me better overall throughput (different SATA channels so I'm not attempting to lay tracks and pull information all from the same drive.
>
> Was this a reasonable thought, or did I simply waste money?

    You definitely want a separate audio disk so that system disk
activity isn't competing with audio disk activity when you're recording.
You don't need to make it /home though, you can call it /audio (or /fred
or /frunobulax [as a tribute to Frank]  ;-)

--
Jan 'Evil Twin' Depner
http://myweb.cableone.net/eviltwin69

arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to
skid in sideways, chardonnay in one hand, chocolate in the other, body
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming 'WOO HOO, what a ride'"