[PlanetCCRMA] Midi & Wine

lorenzo de carli lorenzo.decarli@gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 04:46:02 2007

Hi to everyone in the list, I've been reading the posts for a while
but this is my first mail, so I hope mine it's not silly question.

Fluidsynth is a midi synth with a well designed and stable GUI,
QSynth. It can be very useful on machines with no midi capabilities,
such as laptops and desktops with audio integrated on the mainboard.

Unfortunately, fluidsynth is not compatible with the Wine windows
emulator. This is a pity, because there are many windows-based audio
apps that can be run on linux through wine but require a midi port.

The patch to make fluidsynth/qsynth work with wine is quite small and
simple, and can be found at

http://bugs.winehq.org/attachment.cgi?id=4406&action=view

Unfortunately, until now it has not been integrated in the main wine trunk.

Since the procedure of rebuilding wine with the patch applied is not
trivial for the common user, it's too much to ask for a
ccrma-customized build of wine?

Greetings,
Lorenzo

--