[PlanetCCRMA] Midi & Wine

Fri Feb 16 21:37:33 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-15 at 13:45 +0100, lorenzo de carli wrote:
> Hi to everyone in the list, I've been reading the posts for a while
> but this is my first mail, so I hope mine it's not silly question.
>
> Fluidsynth is a midi synth with a well designed and stable GUI,
> QSynth. It can be very useful on machines with no midi capabilities,
> such as laptops and desktops with audio integrated on the mainboard.
>
> Unfortunately, fluidsynth is not compatible with the Wine windows
> emulator. This is a pity, because there are many windows-based audio
> apps that can be run on linux through wine but require a midi port.
>
> The patch to make fluidsynth/qsynth work with wine is quite small and
> simple, and can be found at
>
> http://bugs.winehq.org/attachment.cgi?id=4406&action=view
>
> Unfortunately, until now it has not been integrated in the main wine trunk.
>
> Since the procedure of rebuilding wine with the patch applied is not
> trivial for the common user, it's too much to ask for a
> ccrma-customized build of wine?

At this point yes, sorry. Wine moves really fast (last time I looked)
and Windows emulation is beyond what I think is the current scope of
Planet CCRMA with the resources available.

I guess your best bet is to find who packages wine for fedora and try to
get the patch included, or download an existing source rpm package and
customize it...

-- Fernando