[PlanetCCRMA] Re: Help Needed: Ardour + Jack + MIDI = distortion -- Update

James P. Early earlyjp@purdue.edu
Mon Feb 12 07:18:00 2007

Hello again,

Some more investigation yesterday has convinced me that the problem is in Jack.
Ardour is merely recording the distorted audio emanating from Jack. Here's what
I did:

1) Changed window manager to fluxbox to conserve resources
2) Login and started qjackctl using 1024/4 buffers (no errors)
3) In qjackctl, opened connections and connected these alsa_pcm clients
   capture_1 -> playback_1
   capture_2 -> playback_2
4) Open envy24control and set the patchbay to
   PCM Out 1 -> H/W Out 1
   PCM Out 2 -> H/W Out 2

This configuration effectively creates an audio "loopback" through jackd. Audio
presented to inputs 1 and 2 of the Delta 44 appears at the Delta's outputs 1 and
2 (with roughly 100mS of latency). I can play my Alesis keyboard, and the audio
sounds just fine -- no distortion and no xruns.

The trouble starts when I open another xterm, launch aplaymidi, and send a
sequence to my Midisport 2x2. It sounds to me like the various "note-on"
messages create the distortion, because the distortion disappears on sustained
chords. I do see 2-3 xruns during the sequence, but these are very short (<0.1
mS), and the distortion is present when there are no xruns. Lastly, I installed
the Jack Bitmeter and attached it to each of the PCM streams. No errors were
detected.

Someone replied to me privately and speculated that my machine might be too
slow. However, it seems to me that a dual 400Mhz PII should be able to handle
one midi event stream while capturing one stereo audio feed. People have been
doing this for years on machines less capable than mine.

I'd be happy to hear from anyone with ideas about how to address this issue.
I think I'm going to take the issue to the jack-devel list, but I will repost
the outcome here, if there is interest.

James