[PlanetCCRMA] appropriate sample rate for live work?

andersvi@extern.uio.no andersvi@extern.uio.no
Sun Aug 12 23:25:02 2007

    N> Hi all, I'm wondering what the acceptable sample rate for live
    N> work is? To be honest, I'm wondering if 44.1 is actually
    N> overkill.

Depending on your setting.  Make a try and see/hear what happens.

I never find frequencies above 11 kHz doing anything in live-settings
with performers and audience and a normal stage-setting with lighting
etc.

    N> I'm developing a live environment where every sound goes
    N> through the A/D conversion and back again.

    N> Is there any performance gains to be had from using a lower
    N> sample rate? Or any algorithmic issues to be had..?

If your choice is between dynamic headroom (ie. extra bits in internal
processing) or higher frequncy-response, especially in a live-setting
i'd definitely give priority to the dynamics!

Please tell us what you find out.