[PlanetCCRMA] appropriate sample rate for live work?

Nicholas Manojlovic nicholasmanojlovic@gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 23:39:01 2007

------=_Part_169819_13033812.1186987096049

" Remember, Nyquist sampling
theorum states that your sampling frequency must be 2x the max. frequency.
So at 44.1, you're recording up to 22kHz.  Go much lower and you cut off
part
of the audible range."

ah hah.. this sentence is very interesting + something I've not heard
before.

i once had someone explain to me that our 'audible' range is a bit of a
misnomer - simply because our brains are so good at guessing the fundamental
based on the harmonics - so a speaker that cant reproduce a bass fundamental
(unless its 15inch) will still sound okay because of reconstruction in our
brains. however seeing as I've not done any actual research on it myself,
could be completely on the wrong track!

On 8/13/07, andersvi@extern.uio.no <andersvi@extern.uio.no> wrote:

>     N> Hi all, I'm wondering what the acceptable sample rate for live
>     N> work is? To be honest, I'm wondering if 44.1 is actually
>     N> overkill.
>
> Depending on your setting.  Make a try and see/hear what happens.
>
> I never find frequencies above 11 kHz doing anything in live-settings
> with performers and audience and a normal stage-setting with lighting
> etc.
>
>     N> I'm developing a live environment where every sound goes
>     N> through the A/D conversion and back again.
>
>     N> Is there any performance gains to be had from using a lower
>     N> sample rate? Or any algorithmic issues to be had..?
>
> If your choice is between dynamic headroom (ie. extra bits in internal
> processing) or higher frequncy-response, especially in a live-setting
> i'd definitely give priority to the dynamics!

64 bit 22k it is! :)

so dynamic headroom is also going to be a factor here.. hmm.

i need to find that balance between performance and what sounds 'okay'. i
also dont like the idea of sounding 'like a CD'. I'm not sure if anyones
ears are strong enough to pick up on that, but there seems to be a
'smoothness' to CDs which I find irritating when someone is meant to be
playing live.

thanks for all the advice

------=_Part_169819_13033812.1186987096049

&gt; wrote:</span><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; &quot;N&quot; == Nicholas Manojlovic &lt;<a href="mailto:nicholasmanojlovic@gmail.com">

------=_Part_169819_13033812.1186987096049--