[PlanetCCRMA] appropriate sample rate for live work?

Michael Curtis lists@moltenmercury.org
Sat Aug 11 05:37:02 2007

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 16:37:20 Nicholas Manojlovic wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm wondering what the acceptable sample rate for live work is? To be
> honest, I'm wondering if 44.1 is actually overkill.
44.1kHz is most likely the minimum you can go.  Remember, Nyquist sampling
theorum states that your sampling frequency must be 2x the max. frequency.
So at 44.1, you're recording up to 22kHz.  Go much lower and you cut off part
of the audible range.  Depending on the usable frequency response of your
speakers, this may not be a problem.

> Is there any performance gains to be had from using a lower sample rate? Or
> any algorithmic issues to be had..?
Definitely, sample rate is directly proportional to CPU load.  However, if
you're mixing in samples at different sample rates (eg CD recordings at 44.1k
and whatever "live" sample rate you've selected), this will incur sonic
degradation (depending on the quality of your up/down sampling filter) and a
performance penalty.

Michael