[PlanetCCRMA] PlanetCCRMA *not* in the press

Wed Aug 8 10:18:02 2007

On Wed, 8 Aug 2007, Nicholas Manojlovic wrote:
> When F7 came out, they annoced respins.org - a place to share your own spins
> of Fedora.
>
> Fernando, where does the distro stand in terms of using
> trade-marks/copyright material from stanford? In theory, is it legal to
> distribute our own ccrma on such a website as a stand-alone?

[sorry for the delay, I'll follow the complete thread later... I'm
teaching a workshop in Guanajuato, Mexico, so very busy...]

Actually I created a Planet CCRMA "distro" for Fedora 4 (ie: a one DVD
install of the whole thing).

What is needed is to replace the packages that hold the "marks" (copyright
marks) of Fedora so that the new distro does not use all the copyrighted
images that point to Fedora. It is not difficult, just a lot of work that
I did not repeat for fc > 4 (yet). Once you do that it becomes completely
legal to redistribute a spin-off distro - but of course you can't call it
Fedora as it is not Fedora any longer.

Today it would be much easier as there are now tools that would do most of
the stuff that I had to do "by hand" when I created the Planet CCRMA 4
dvd.

It is in my plans to do it, I just have to get the time. In the meanwhile
we still have the "non-distro" Planet CCRMA we can install (which is also
the case as was pointed out in Ubuntu Studio and JackLab).

-- Fernando