[PlanetCCRMA] PlanetCCRMA *not* in the press

Edward Lilley ejlilley@gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 17:07:00 2007

Jeff Sandys wrote:
> My two cents: European magazine, European distributions.
>
> When I started the choice was PlanetCCRMA or Agnula.
> Now Agnula is dead, long live PlanetCCRMA.
>
> I installed UbuntuStudio on my wife's computer after the
> experience I had building an Ubuntu computer for my inlaws.
> Now my wife can help her parents with their computer, and
> she might do some scoring for her string quartet.
>
> And I like the Pure:Dyne live CD (Dynabolic).  One of their
> packages is Fluxus, a mashup of PLT Scheme with OpenGL,
> ODE free body dynamics and OSC sound.  I need to recompile
> PLT Scheme with some different options to get Fluxus to work
> in Fedora/PlanetCCRMA.  I have Pure:Dyne docked/nested
> on my laptop.
>
> I think the improvements in the Fedora build process will help
> make PlanetCCRMA a stronger contender in the future, with
> the ability to make a live CD/DVD and directly install with ease.
>
> -- Jeff Sandys
>

> Stephan Neuhaus-2 wrote:

>> Spiegel Online, one of Germany's most-read online magazines,
>> "Linux users have the choice between at least five current
>> distributions geared specially processing audio:
>> 64 Studio, Dynabolic, Jacklab, Musix, and Ubuntu Studio."
>> There is no mention of PlanetCCRMA in the article.

I think a live-CD would be a really good idea for PlanetCCRMA (or even
just a stand-alone distro). Perhaps the magazine's criteria for
"distribution" meant stand-alone. However, even though planetCCRMA
arguably is no less a distro in its own right than UbuntuStudio (which,
seeing as it uses _only_ Ubuntu packages is probably less of a distro
than planetCCRMA), I think a stand-alone liveCD/installation DVD would
be a great way forwards (or sideways).

Also, replying to the comment about "academic" music packages, I assume
by academic you mean slightly older midi sequencers with more
sophisticated programming tools, not WYSIWYG classical music notation
applications (which is what I prefer) :-)        .