[PlanetCCRMA] i686 arch alsa rpms with AMD Duron

Tue Apr 24 10:34:01 2007

On Tue, 2007-04-24 at 18:15 +0100, G Quested wrote:
> On Apr 23, 2007 at 4:19pm, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> > On Mon, 2007-04-23 at 15:41 -0700, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> >> I'm now working on a rebuild to try to fix things...
> >
> > There's a new release now for fc6/i386, hopefully it will fix your
> > problem (I don't have a way to test - works on an Athlon CPU)
> >
> Hi again, the software updater pulled down a new jack package but it has
> made no difference.

Arghhh....

> Here's the output:
>
> Name        : jack-audio-connection-kit    Relocations: (not relocatable)
> Version     : 0.103.0                           Vendor: Planet CCRMA
> Release     : 0.2.1015.svn.fc6.ccrma        Build Date: Tue 24 Apr 2007 12:11:58 AM BST
> Install Date: Tue 24 Apr 2007 05:54:13 PM BST      Build Host: build.ccrma.stanford.edu
> Group       : Applications/Multimedia       Source RPM: jack-audio-connection-kit-0.103.0-0.2.1015.svn.fc6.ccrma.src.rpm
> Size        : 1309822                          License: GPL
> Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Tue 24 Apr 2007 12:17:10 AM BST, Key ID c12beffc68d9802a
> Packager    : Fernando Lopez-Lezcano
> URL         : http://jackaudio.org/
> Summary     : the Jack Audio Connection Kit
> Description :
> JACK is a low-latency audio server, written primarily for the Linux
> operating system. It can connect a number of different applications to
> an audio device, as well as allowing them to share audio between
> themselves. Its clients can run in their own processes (ie. as a
> normal application), or can they can run within a JACK server (ie. a
> "plugin").
>
> JACK is different from other audio server efforts in that it has been
> designed from the ground up to be suitable for professional audio
> work. This means that it focuses on two key areas: synchronous
> execution of all clients, and low latency operation.
>
> jackd -v -R -p128 -dalsa -r44100 -n2 -i2 -o2
> getting driver descriptor from /usr/lib/jack/jack_dummy.so
> getting driver descriptor from /usr/lib/jack/jack_freebob.so
> getting driver descriptor from /usr/lib/jack/jack_oss.so
> getting driver descriptor from /usr/lib/jack/jack_alsa.so
> jackd 0.103.0
> Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
> jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
> under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
>
> JACK compiled with System V SHM support.
> server `default' registered
> Enhanced3DNow! detected

It looks like jackd detects your cpu as supporting 3DNow....

> apparent rate = 44100
> creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|44100|2|2|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
> control device hw:0
> registered builtin port type 32 bit float mono audio
> registered builtin port type 8 bit raw midi
> clock source = system clock via clock_gettime
> new client: alsa_pcm, id = 1 type 1 @ 0x805b1d0 fd = -1
> configuring for 44100Hz, period = 1024 frames, buffer = 2 periods
> ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 16bit little-endian
> ALSA: use 2 periods for capture
> ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 16bit little-endian
> ALSA: use 2 periods for playback
> Illegal instruction

But then when it tries to use it it bombs... how could that be? Maybe
there are different levels of 3dnow and jack is not smart enough to know
that? (the use of the extra instructions is supposed to happen
dynamically at run time).

Hmmm, you could try the Fedora Extras package while I try to find a
solution (the problem is I don't have something to test on that will
fail).

The Fedora package is not compiled to use sse/sse2/3dnow dynamically so
it would be less efficient when you have capable cpus, but maybe it will
work in your case till I find a solution that works on all cpus.

Download the rpm and install it as a "downgrade":
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/extras/6/i386/jack-audio-connection-kit-0.102.20-3.fc6.i386.rpm

(I think you'll need to do a "rpm -Uvh --oldpackage ..." to install it.
You will also need to either download the other two or erase the -devel
and -example-clients packages).

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/extras/6/i386/repoview/J.group.html

-- Fernando