[PlanetCCRMA] trouble getting started with Common Music

Mon Apr 23 17:10:02 2007

On Mon, 2007-04-23 at 11:02 -0700, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-04-22 at 23:15 -0700, bernie arai wrote:
> > after reading Dave Phillps' mention of it in his "At the Soudning
> > Edge" column from a while a ago (thanks dave for the great read as
> > always), i'm prompted  to try out Common Music, but i'm a little in
> > over my head with setting things up.  the abundance of "common" family
> > packages from planetccrma (FC5) is making my head spin.
> >
> > i want to try the tutorials from the CM website, which advise that i
> > use emacs via SLIME.  following the instructions at
> > http://commonmusic.sourceforge.net/doc/emacs.html i've run into a
> > stumbling block where i think that i don't know the correct path to
> > SLIME or cm, which i've installed from the planet.  after adding the
> > lines as per instructions, starting emacs gives me:
> >
> > File error: "Cannot open load file", "listener.el"
> >
> > and trying to start M-x cm gives me:
> >
> > Symbol's function definition is void: slime-connected-p
> >
> > which are both beyond my experience with emacs, slime and cm, so no go
> > so far.
>
> I'd recommend sbcl as the "base lisp" on which to run everything.
> So, if you need cm you have to install "cm-sbcl", and you also want
> "slime-sbcl" for the slimmy part of the process (those will pull in
> other needed packages).
>
> For configuring slime you just need to add this to emacs:
>
> ---- cut here ----
> ;;; slime configuration
> (setq inferior-lisp-program "/usr/bin/cm-sbcl")
>
> (add-to-list 'load-path "/usr/share/slime")
> (require 'slime)
> (slime-setup)
> ---- cut here ----
>
> Restart emacs and then do "<esc> x" and type "slime" followed by return.
> Common Music will start to be loaded, wait till the slime listener
> starts and greets you with a <CM> prompt and then you are in lisp land
> (/usr/bin/cm-sbcl is the "executable" that starts the whole thing - you
> could run that in a terminal to make sure it starts).
>
> I think the cm in fc5 is still the old one so some examples might not
> run as shown in the recent sourceforge instructions.
>
> If you want to use clm (sound synthesis/processing) you need to install
> clm-sbcl, if you want it to be autoloaded into cm when cm starts you
> will also need cm-clm-sbcl. Same naming for cmn (score generation).

I just released a new set of cm* packages for fc5.

- latest common music release (w/ realtime scheduler)
- only supports sbcl
- includes fomus (as in the latest fc6 build)

So, you will/should need:
  cm-sbcl
  cm-clm-sbcl (if you want to autoload clm)
  cm-cmn-sbcl (if you want to autoload cmn)
  cm-fomus-sbcl (if you want to autoload fomus)
  slime-sbcl

-- Fernando