[PlanetCCRMA] Re: PlanetCCRMA digest, Vol 1 #1858 - 2 msgs

Tue Oct 24 17:46:01 2006

[sorry for the delay in answering, was away without email access...]

On Tue, 2006-10-17 at 17:32 -0700, Anthony Green wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-10-16 at 23:33 +0300, Beepo / Vanguard wrote:
> > Fernando is doing amazing job keeping up with Fedora releases and always
> > tries to provide the most stable system available. However as I've
> > understood there's more than enough work to do so I suspect that the
> > usable Planet CCRMA on FC6 will take at least couple of months after the
> > official release of FC6.

Perhaps this time not so long... we'll see...

> Several of the key PlanetCCRMA packages will be available immediately in
> Fedora Extras 6 (for x86, x86-64 and PowerPC), and the more help we get
> packaging the better.  Anybody interested in helping should check out
> this site:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/Contributors
>
> That being said, I think PlanetCCRMA contains some packages that will
> never go in Extras (LinuxSampler has licensing problems for instance).
>
> As for the kernel, my understanding is that many of Ingo's real-time
> patches have been accepted into the upstream 2.6.18 kernel, which is
> what we have in FC6.   I know very little about the real-time kernel
> patches.  Will 2.6.18 still require patching?

Yes, regretfully it will. See:

  http://people.redhat.com/~mingo/realtime-preempt/

There's still a patch there :-)

A lot of interesting stuff in Ingo's patches _has_ made its way to the
mainline kernel with the side effect that the patch itself is getting
smaller and the kernel better (for low latency work), but the most
insteresting stuff (AFAIK) for audio has not migrated yet, which is
what's currently there in the patch and makes it possible to configure
the kernel with PREEMPT_RT (or PREEMPT_DESKTOP). Those are the changes
that bring latency to very low values.

Even if that made it to the mainline kernel I bet it would take quite a
while for that to be enabled in a stock Fedora kernel...

-- Fernando