[PlanetCCRMA] how to prevent modem loading as default audio device

Tracey Hytry shakti@bayarea.net
Mon Oct 23 23:05:02 2006

> The problem is that the  modem ends up as 'default' pcm_device often as
> not instead of  'snd-intel8x0'  (I prefer to use the onboard sound card
> as default for media players, etc)

I think I posted this here before, but I'll paste it at the end of the message.
It's my modprobe.conf that I spent a bit of time on to get my midi working properly in FC5.
I don't know if anything in it will help you.
It's an interesting tutorial of how to keep the operating system from initializing things early in the boot process, and then setting up the hardware the way you want it set up.

Tracey.

-----------------------------------

/etc --> cat modprobe.conf

# Needed to free up the parallel port for the midi switcher on 2.6.16 kernels.
#
blacklist parport
blacklist parport_pc
blacklist lp
#
install lp /sbin/modprobe -r --verbose lp
install parport_pc /sbin/modprobe -r --verbose parport_pc
install parport /sbin/modprobe -r --verbose parport
#####
# Needed to get the system to ignore the onboard soundcard hardware with 2.6.17 kernels.
#
blacklist snd_via82xx
blacklist snd_via82xx_modem
blacklist gameport
#
install gameport /sbin/modprobe -r --verbose gameport
install snd_via82xx_modem /sbin/modprobe -r --verbose snd_via82xx_modem
install snd_via82xx /sbin/modprobe -r --verbose snd_via82xx
#####
# The gigabit ethernet card in pci slot number 2.
#
alias eth0 r8169
#####
# The Delta 1010 card in pci slot number 3.
#
alias snd-card-0 snd-ice1712
options snd-card-0 index=0
options snd-ice1712 index=0
#
remove snd-ice1712 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 0 >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-ice1712
#####
# The moto midi switcher plugged into the parallel port.
#
alias snd-card-1 snd-mtpav
options snd-card-1 index=1
options snd-mtpav index=1