[PlanetCCRMA] introductory question. . . .

Jan Depner eviltwin69@cableone.net
Sun Jun 25 17:38:01 2006

On Sun, 2006-06-25 at 18:24 -0600, Brian Heinrich wrote:
> On 06/24/2006 11:10 PM (-0600 UTC), Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
>
> <snip />
>
> > I think you probably do have sound working, you are just testing it with
> > the wrong tool (there's many things that could be wrong with "just
> > playing a cd").
> >
> > Try something like:
> > - start qjackctl, set reasonable preferences, start jackd
> > - start hydrogen, select a demo song, press play
> > - make sure in qjackctl patchbay that the audio is connected.
> >
> > Most probably you will hear the demo song...
> > (start envy24control and watch the vu meters)
> > -- Fernando
> >

> Out of sheer frustration, I've done an r-'n'-r.  When it comes to the
> sound card portion of the installation, the sound card seems to be
> detected properly (bear in mind that I disabled on-board sound in the
> BIOS) --
>
>     *Vendor:*  VIA
>     *Model:*   Technologies Inc. ICE1712 [Envy24] PCI Multi-Channel I/O
>     Controller
>     *Module:*  snd-ice1712
>

> -- but I can't hear the test sound.  However, when I looked at
> modprobe.conf, I found
>
>     alias snd-card-0 snd-ice1712
>     options snd-card-0 index=0
>

> IIUC, the second line ought to read
>
>     options snd-ice1712 index=0

    I'm running a DSP2000 C-Port (envy24 chipset and my modprobe.conf
looks like this:

alias snd-card-0 snd-ice1712
options snd-card-0 index=0
options snd-ice1712 index=0
remove snd-ice1712 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 0 >/dev/null 2>&1
|| : ; }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-ice1712

That last (remove) line is all one line.

--
Jan 'Evil Twin' Depner
The Fuzzy Dice

"As we enjoy great advantages from the invention of others, we should be
glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and
this we should do freely and generously."

Benjamin Franklin, on declining patents offered by the governor of
Pennsylvania for his "Pennsylvania Fireplace", c. 1744