[PlanetCCRMA] introductory question. . . .

Brian Heinrich manager@ckxu.com
Sun Jun 25 17:23:01 2006

--------------090202070708080200080809

On 06/24/2006 11:10 PM (-0600 UTC), Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:

<snip />

> I think you probably do have sound working, you are just testing it with
> the wrong tool (there's many things that could be wrong with "just
> playing a cd").
>
> Try something like:
> - start qjackctl, set reasonable preferences, start jackd
> - start hydrogen, select a demo song, press play
> - make sure in qjackctl patchbay that the audio is connected.
>
> Most probably you will hear the demo song...
> (start envy24control and watch the vu meters)
> -- Fernando

Out of sheer frustration, I've done an r-'n'-r.  When it comes to the
sound card portion of the installation, the sound card seems to be
detected properly (bear in mind that I disabled on-board sound in the
BIOS) --

    *Vendor:*  VIA
    *Model:*   Technologies Inc. ICE1712 [Envy24] PCI Multi-Channel I/O
    Controller
    *Module:*  snd-ice1712

-- but I can't hear the test sound.  However, when I looked at
modprobe.conf, I found

    alias snd-card-0 snd-ice1712
    options snd-card-0 index=0

IIUC, the second line ought to read

    options snd-ice1712 index=0

and I have changed it to such.  When I restart alsa from a term, I get:

    Starting sound driver snd-ice1712                 [ OK ]
    Starting sequencer                                [ OK ]
    Starting sequencer driver snd-seq-midi            [ OK ]
    Restoring sound driver settings /usr/sbin/alsactl: load-state:1712:
    No soundcards found. . .        [ FAILED ]

(I had the same problem with alsactl earlier.)  When I reboot, however,
all four come back OK . . . but when I log in and go to Applications |
System Settings | Soundcard Detection, I /still/ don't hear the test
sound. . . . :-(

/b.

--
Brian Heinrich <manager@ckxu.com>  *  Station Manager  *  CKXU 88.3 FM
[office] 403.329.2180  *  [cell] 403.331.9122  *  <http://ckxu.com/>

Showcasing, enhancing, and promoting southern Alberta's diversity.

--------------090202070708080200080809

begin:vcard
fn:Brian Heinrich
n:Heinrich;Brian
org:CKXU Radio Society
adr:;;SU162 4401 University Drive;Lethbridge;AB;T1K 3M4;CANADA
email;internet:manager@ckxu.com
title:Station Manager
tel;work:1 (403) 329 2180
tel;fax:1 (403) 329 2224