[PlanetCCRMA] introductory question. . . .

Sat Jun 24 22:11:01 2006

On Sat, 2006-06-24 at 17:14 -0600, Brian Heinrich wrote:
> On 06/24/2006 02:16 PM (-0600 UTC), Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
>
> > Hmmm, ignore my previous answer for now and read on (although the
> > dependency problem should be fixed):
> >

> I was finally able to get the machine on-line and used the RPM repository.
>
> > On Fri, 2006-06-23 at 18:20 -0600, Brian Heinrich wrote:
> >
> >> I've managed to make progress since getting the computer on-line, but
> >> still have some questions/concerns.
> >>
> >> I looked into modprobe.conf, which read:
> >>
> >>     alias eth0 8139too
> >>     install snd-via82xx /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-via82xx &&
> >>     /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 ||
> >>     alias snd-card-1 snd-ice7112
> >>     install snd-ice1712 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-ice1712 &&
> >>     /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 ||
> >>     remove snd-ice1712 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ;
> >>     }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-ice1712
> >>     alias usb-controller uhci-hcd
> >>

> > Looks good.
> >
> > But you should notice that your ice1712 card is the _second_ card. You
> > will have to point whatever app you want to use to it (usually
> > everything defaults to the first soundcard which is in your mobo in this
> > case).
> >

> I will need bear that in mind -- altho' there's some weirdness in all of
> this 'cos at one point I removed the on-board sound in kudzu. . . .
>
> <snip />
>
> >> When I ran alsamixer, I got the same error as before --
> >>
> >>     alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or
> >>     directory
> >>

> > No, this error is different, see below.
> > Also, you should run "alsamixer -c 1" to access the second card.
> >

> "alsamixer -c 1" results in
>
>     alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for hw:1: No such file or directory
>

> "alsamixer -c 0", however, did launch alsamixer, presumably 'cos I
> removed the on-board sound in kudzu. . . .
>
> >> -- , but I was able to run envy24control.
> >>

> > Then the soundcard kernel module is loaded and alsa is running.
> > You may have a device problem, so first check the basics:
> >
> > Is alsa started?
> >   cat /proc/asound/cards
> > that should list your mobo card and the envy24control card
> >

> Actually, just the envy24control -- I'm assuming (again) 'cos I removed
> the on-board card thro' kudzu.  I wonder if perhaps that isn't part of
> the problem . . . .
>
> Anyway:
>
>     0 [M1010LT          ]: ICE1712 - M Audio Delta 1010LT
>                           M Audio Delta 1010LT at 0xc800, irq 5
>

> > which should have devices for both cards:
> >   cat /proc/asound/devices
> >

>      8: [0- 0]: raw midi
>     16: [0- 0]: digital audio playback
>     24: [0- 0]: digital audio capture
>      0: [0- 0]: ctl
>     33:       : timer
>

> > What do you see in /dev/snd/?
> >   ls -l /dev/snd/*
> >

>     crw-------  1 user root 116,  0 June 24 08:13 /dev/snd/controlC0
>     crw-------  1 user root 116,  8 June 24 08:13 /dev/snd/midiC0D0
> [...]

I think you probably do have sound working, you are just testing it with
the wrong tool (there's many things that could be wrong with "just
playing a cd").

Try something like:
- start qjackctl, set reasonable preferences, start jackd
- start hydrogen, select a demo song, press play
- make sure in qjackctl patchbay that the audio is connected.

Most probably you will hear the demo song...
(start envy24control and watch the vu meters)
-- Fernando