[PlanetCCRMA] introductory question. . . .

Brian Heinrich manager@ckxu.com
Sat Jun 24 16:14:01 2006

--------------000902070701060906030205

On 06/24/2006 02:16 PM (-0600 UTC), Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:

> Hmmm, ignore my previous answer for now and read on (although the
> dependency problem should be fixed):

I was finally able to get the machine on-line and used the RPM repository.

> On Fri, 2006-06-23 at 18:20 -0600, Brian Heinrich wrote:
>
>> I've managed to make progress since getting the computer on-line, but
>> still have some questions/concerns.
>>
>> I looked into modprobe.conf, which read:
>>
>>     alias eth0 8139too
>>     install snd-via82xx /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-via82xx &&
>>     /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 ||
>>     alias snd-card-1 snd-ice7112
>>     install snd-ice1712 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-ice1712 &&
>>     /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 ||
>>     remove snd-ice1712 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ;
>>     }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-ice1712
>>     alias usb-controller uhci-hcd
>>

> Looks good.
>
> But you should notice that your ice1712 card is the _second_ card. You
> will have to point whatever app you want to use to it (usually
> everything defaults to the first soundcard which is in your mobo in this
> case).

I will need bear that in mind -- altho' there's some weirdness in all of
this 'cos at one point I removed the on-board sound in kudzu. . . .

<snip />

>> When I ran alsamixer, I got the same error as before --
>>
>>     alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or
>>     directory
>>

> No, this error is different, see below.
> Also, you should run "alsamixer -c 1" to access the second card.

"alsamixer -c 1" results in

    alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for hw:1: No such file or directory

"alsamixer -c 0", however, did launch alsamixer, presumably 'cos I
removed the on-board sound in kudzu. . . .

>> -- , but I was able to run envy24control.
>>

> Then the soundcard kernel module is loaded and alsa is running.
> You may have a device problem, so first check the basics:
>
> Is alsa started?
>   cat /proc/asound/cards
> that should list your mobo card and the envy24control card

Actually, just the envy24control -- I'm assuming (again) 'cos I removed
the on-board card thro' kudzu.  I wonder if perhaps that isn't part of
the problem . . . .

Anyway:

    0 [M1010LT          ]: ICE1712 - M Audio Delta 1010LT
                          M Audio Delta 1010LT at 0xc800, irq 5

> which should have devices for both cards:
>   cat /proc/asound/devices

     8: [0- 0]: raw midi
    16: [0- 0]: digital audio playback
    24: [0- 0]: digital audio capture
     0: [0- 0]: ctl
    33:       : timer

    crw-------  1 user root 116,  0 June 24 08:13 /dev/snd/controlC0
    crw-------  1 user root 116,  8 June 24 08:13 /dev/snd/midiC0D0
    crw-------  1 user root 116, 24 June 24 08:13 /dev/snd/pcmC0D0c
    crw-------  1 user root 116, 16 June 24 08:13 /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p
    crw-------  1 user root 116, 33 June 24 08:13 /dev/snd/timer

>> There's one other interesting thing in all of this:  I can't adjust the
>> (system) volume control.  Or more to the point, I can move the slider,
>> but it always returns to zero.  That might explain why I can't get any
>> sound. :-P
>>

> Not necesarily. The generic "volume control" app will not find any
> "generic" control in your envy24control based card. If envy24control
> sees it then you should be fine - I imagine you set the output analog
> volume controls in envy24control, right?

Yes, altho' I'm not quite sure of how to use it; it's a bit different
from the comparable control panel in Windows.  I'm assuming that DAC 0 .
. . 7 refers to analogue outputs and ADC 0 . . . 7 refers to analogue
inputs, but I have no idea what IPGA [0 . . . 7] means, nor its relation
to ADC.

Unfortunately, I still don't have sound.  If I open Audio Player and try
to play a CD, I get an alert:

    Please check that:

    Your soundcard is configured properly
    You have the correct plugin sleected
    No other program is blocking the soundcard

The selected output plug-in is ALSA 1.2.10 out plugin {libALSA.so].
When I go to configure it, it's set at the default PCM device, but even
if I change it to M Audio Delta 1010LT: ICE1712 multi (hw:0, 0), I still
get the same alert.

Needless to say, it's immensely frustrating to come this far and not be
able to do anything 'cos I have no sound. . . .

/b.

<snip />

--
Brian Heinrich <manager@ckxu.com>  *  Station Manager  *  CKXU 88.3 FM
[office] 403.329.2180  *  [cell] 403.331.9122  *  <http://ckxu.com/>

Showcasing, enhancing, and promoting southern Alberta's diversity.

--------------000902070701060906030205

begin:vcard
fn:Brian Heinrich
n:Heinrich;Brian
org:CKXU Radio Society
adr:;;SU162 4401 University Drive;Lethbridge;AB;T1K 3M4;CANADA
email;internet:manager@ckxu.com
title:Station Manager
tel;work:1 (403) 329 2180
tel;fax:1 (403) 329 2224